Gun Gadgets: Precision Scale

I have a minor in Chemistry and in college spent many hours behind precision scales in organic chemistry and biochemistry. During that time I learned that there are scales, and then there are precision scales. I prefer and use a scale that measures to .001g, I have found that this has made a huge difference in my loads. Consider this, the RCBS Chargemaster measures +/- a tenth (.1) of a grain while the precision scales can measure +/- 20 to 25 thousands (.002) of a grain, but I am usually around .008. The average weight of H4350 for example weighs .025 grains, so the chargemaster would be fluctuating by up to 4 kernels of powder. This is HUGE! One of the finest scales on the market for speed, accuracy, and price in Sartorius Scales.
These scales are the Rolls Royce of reloading scales ($1000+ used). I however drive a four cylinder Toyota Corolla.... so I scoured Ebay for months to find a budget precision scale ($250). I ended up with something that looks more like this:
This scale consistently measures +/-.008, and cost a fraction of a new scale. A word of caution however, be wary of the scales that come from schools. As I can personally attest to the many experiments gone bad within these scales.
With this precision also comes additional responsibility. The scale must be level, extremely clean, clear of electronic interference, and no moving air. No A/C on while reloading in the summer in AZ has caused some very sweaty reloading sessions.
So here is my argument for using the Dandy Trickler and a precision scale. The RCBS chargemaster may save you a few minutes, but it is also chucking out +/-4 kernels of powder. For the SAME amount you could buy the Dandy Trickler and a precision scale.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author