Transition to Semi-Custom Rifles

There are two types of custom rifles: the semi-custom and the full-custom. 
I will first discuss my argument for purchasing a semi-custom rifle. These rifles can be purchased used for the same or even less that a quality stock rifle (Sako, 700 Sendero, Savage Target etc). 

Why not purchase a rifle used at a fraction of the cost the owner had it built?! I usually sell my used custom rifle for 30% off of what it cost me to build them, this is an incredible value for the buyer, and an excellent transition from stock rifles to semi-custom rifles.

Semi Custom rifles start their lives as a stock rifle, but then parts on the rifle are upgraded. These parts include triggers, barrels, rails, stocks, firing pins etc. The line between a semi and full custom rifle fades as gunsmiths perform work on the rifle.
I made the leap to purchase a custom rifle when I bought a Gre'-Tan (Greg Tannel) .264win Mag. This rifle was purchased for near the same cost of a Model 700 sendero.
Here is a pic of the groups that I would shoot with this "semi-custom" and factory ammunition.
Here are some pics of a few of my favorite rifles:
Gre-Tan .264 Win Mag





Dan Dowling .222
Dave Tooley 6x284
Cooper .243
All of these rifles were what I consider Semi-Custom. They all had extensive work performed on them by very talented gunsmiths, but the real deal custom rifle is built from the ground up, and will be discussed in a later post.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author