Switch Bolt/Barrel Rifles


The rifle pictured above I had built it is a Defiance action with a .223 bolt and .308 bolt. The barrels are .223, .243, 6XC, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. I chose this route so that I could maximize the quality of components used at the most economical price. The only down side is the inconvenience of swapping barrels. Switching the bolts out is a simple task of using the bolt release and takes all of 10 seconds. Swapping out a barrel a barrel vice is used to keep the barrel secure while removing it from the action. 

The action wrenches come in a few variations, but the they usually will be inserted into the action similar to the bolt and fit inside the action just how the bolt would.


 Instead of having six rifles with six, triggers, stocks, and scopes I chose to build one rifle with an exceptional stock, trigger, and scope. I purchased a $3000 scope instead of six $500 scopes.
 Another benefit is the familiarity with the rifle. I was able to become so familiar with the rifle because I shot it all the time, while the caliber may have varied the stock, trigger, and scope were always the same. I really became to better understand the quote: “Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it.”

This concept has been mastered by the studs out of Desert Tech (Formerly DTA). Having owned a DTA SRS A1 I can attest to their amazing accuracy, repeatability, and ease of use.

The DTA rifles also offer the greatest range of calibers. A person can shoot everything from a .223 to a 338 Lapua out of these rifle. Other switch bolt actions a limited to either long action or short action.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author